Thursday, May 1, 2008

Italian Sausage Soup with Tortelini

"I found this on allrecipes.com. It is one of the best soups I've ever had. I've made it twice. I am adding the changes I made into the recipe."

INGREDIENTS:

2 lbs. Italian sausage, cooked, chopped and drained (reserve pan)

1 cup chopped onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

5 cups beef broth (or just use 1 carton and 1 can which gives you a little extra, but it's no big deal)

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup red wine

4 large tomatoes, chopped

1 cup thin sliced carrots

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1 8oz can tomato sauce

1 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced

16 oz fresh tortellini filled with cheese

1/2 teaspoon parsley

DIRECTIONS:

In a large stock pot combine broth, water, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, wine, tomatoes, carrots, and sausage. Fry onion and garlic in left-over fying pan, and saute until soft and clear, and add to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add zucchini and parsley, and simmer covered for another 30 minutes. Add tortellini for the last 10 minutes of simmering.

Optional:

Sprinkle each serving with with parmesan cheese

Serves 10

1 comment:

jquiltmaker said...

I think I'll have to try this one soon!!