Saturday, November 3, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark

"I found this recipe on Pinterest.  The recipe came from Live Sigma Kappa and the original from  Big Red Kitchen.  This stuff is the bomb...but how could it not be?  I now have a gallon freezer bag of it in the freezer and it'll last me forever.  It also makes an awesome gift."


INGREDIENTS:

2-1/2 lbs chocolate candy coating (I used 4-12 oz bags of semi sweet chocolate chips)

1 (16.3 oz) jar creamy peanut butter (I used an 18 oz. jar of chunky PB...could not find smaller)

2 c Confectioners’ sugar
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (oops...just realized I forgot this part)
1/2 t. salt (makes it taste more Reese's Peanut butter cup-ish, but not part of the original recipe)

DIRECTIONS:

Melt half of the chocolate candy coating according to the package directions, (I used a double-boiler) then spread over parchment paper on a large cookie sheet. Spread to a large rectangle, but not too thin – approximately 1/8″ to 1/4″ thickness. (I had about an inch left of pan around each side) Place in freezer to firm up.
In a large bowl, beat together the peanut butter, Confectioners’ sugar, melted butter and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Remove first chocolate layer from the freezer and spread the peanut butter mixture over the top. Return to the freezer and melt the remaining chocolate candy coating. Once that is melted, spread it over the top of the peanut butter layer and freeze until set.
Break up the bark into small pieces using a butcher knife. Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.

Tips:

-I did not think it was necessary to let the peanut butter layer firm up in the freezer, so while I was stirring that up, I put the second half of the chocolate on the stove to melt.  Also, the easiest thing to do is to spoon all of the peanut butter mixer on top of the firm chocolate and press it down with your hands....it's a lot faster than a knife....it doesn't stick because of the added butter.

No comments: