Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Italian Bread

{Tonight's Menu}
 


Italian Bread

"I decided to do something a little different and if I make anything for dinner I already have a recipe for, I am going to include the links so that we can revisit some old recipes.
I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com.  After reading some reviews of the recipe and not sure which advice to follow I decided just to follow the original directions.  I did have the same issues as some of the other people who made it, so I have included the changes as suggested in the reviews.  It was a very tasty bread."



INGREDIENTS:

3 cups lukewarm water
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
8-9 cups all-purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:

- Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water and let proof (should be frothy).
- Stir in 4 cups of flour and beat until smooth. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
-Beat in the salt and then add enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough (not sticky) (8-9 cups). Knead until smooth. Turn in a greased bowl, cover, and let double in size. (I preheat my oven to lowest setting and then turn off...put the dough in and it provides a warm place to rise).
-Once doubled, punch down and kneed.  Place back in the bowl, cover, and let rise.
-Once doubled again, punch down and form into two loaves.   Grease heavy cookie sheets and sprinkle with corn meal. Place the bread on the sheets, cover with a towel, and let rise slightly.
-Once risen place in 450 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.  While baking place oven safe dish of water on lower rack of oven to keep dough humid. 

No comments: