Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gratinéed Baked Squash Halves

"I found this recipe in a Reader's Digest and it turns out that it's a Martha Stewart recipe. Now that I've read the directions again I realized that I didn't put the cream mixture in before baking like I was suppose to. My version is here, but the original can be found HERE . I put in 4 oz. total cheese instead of the original 2 oz., but it still didn't seem like enough, especially to get a photo like the one found in the link, so here I put a total of 8 oz.. Gruyere is an expensive cheese, so you can try swiss if you prefer."


INGREDIENTS:

2 acorn squash, halved crosswise, seeds removed

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup half and half

1/2 t. ground sage

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

2 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (about 8 oz.)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place squash halves, cut sides up, in a 13 x 9-in. baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour about 1/2 cup water into baking dish around squash.

2. Combine cream with sage and garlic in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then pour into squash halves, dividing evenly.

3. Bake until squash are tender when pierced with tip of sharp knife, about one hour. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese, dividing evenly. Continue baking until cheese is melted and golden, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: