Monday, October 13, 2008

Cream of Spinach Soup

"I love spinach, and I'm always excited to try a new spinach recipe. Since I'm on a soup kick, I thought I'd try this. Check my tips and changes below"

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
  • salt and pepper to taste

    DIRECTIONS

  • In a medium saucepan, combine water, bouillon, and spinach. Bring to a boil, and cook until spinach is tender.
  • Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Season with minced onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in spinach mixture.

Tips:

-I used a 10 ounce bag of fresh baby spinach and a large pot to boil it in.

-After tender I blended it in a food processor along with all of the broth. I rinsed the pot and used it for the next step.

-The milk I used was skim to save on fat, but you can use any milk or cream instead

-I added two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese

-I added 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

-I added 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

No comments: