Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie


"I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. I really don't like chicken pot pie all that much, so I thought I'd try to find a recipe for it that had ingredients I like. I think the reason I haven't liked them in the past is that they had mixed vegetables in them. I am not a fan of peas, green beans or lima beans mixed into recipes. I just like them by themselves (excpet for lima beans...I don't like them at all. This is the original recipe, and I have noted my changes at the bottom. My hubby said (with my changes) that it was the best chicken pot pie he's ever had."




INGREDIENTS
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
salt and pepper to taste




DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour a 2 quart casserole dish.
Place chicken breasts, onion, and poultry seasoning in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Simmer over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Drain and dice chicken.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, onions, cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, Cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, mixed vegetables, mushrooms, and salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Lay one sheet of pastry in bottom of greased and floured pan. Pour chicken mixture over pastry. Cover with second sheet of pastry. Seal edges of top and bottom pastries. Cut steam vents in top.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.




-I omitted the mushrooms because my husband doesn't like them




-I used 1 1/2 cups broccoli and 1 1/2 cups carrots for the veggies. I pre-cooked the broccoli and then ran it through the food processor so the kids would be more likely to eat the small chunks




-I only used three large chicken breast halves. I diced it before I sauted it (adding a small amount of olive oil), and used about 1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash "table blend" seasoning instead of "poultry seasoning".




-I covered the edge of the pie crust with foil for the first 35 minutes of baking.

No comments: