Thursday, March 27, 2008

Judy's Cheese Potatoes

"This is my mom's recipe. I don't know if she made it up, or got it from someone else, but this was what she made for years for special occasions, like Easter. Almost everyone I know has tried some version of this"

INGREDIENTS:
2 lb bag of plain frozen hashbrowns (shredded or cubes...I prefer cubes), thawed
1 16 oz container of sour cream
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 1/2 cups (10 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 large or 1 small onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon paprika


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients except paprika into large bowl, and mix together. Spoon into a 13x9 inch. baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle paprika over the top, and bake uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Makes approx 8 servings


Tips:
You can substitue reduced fat sour cream, cheddar cheese (I use the 2% milk cheese) and the cream soup (campbell's makes a healthy request), and not really notice much of a difference in taste, but low-fat butter is not recommended for baking. You can also use cream of mushroom soup, and I think it only makes it slightly different. I have also used miracle whip and cream cheese as substitues for part of the sour cream when I didn't have enough.

1 comment:

jquiltmaker said...

These are such a comfort food and soooo very yummy!!