Friday, September 28, 2012

Chicken Enchiladas II

"I found this recipe on pinterest, and you can find the original HERE .  The original was called White Chicken Enchiladas", but since I didn't want the chicken plain, it ended up not being "white" when I got done with it, so I renamed the recipe.  I still think the white sauce was lacking in something, so if you make this, let me know if you modified that, but it was still very yummy.  I included directions on what I did to cook the chicken, the original just said: 2 cup of shredded.  I also changed the cheese from Monterrey jack to cheddar jack."


INGREDIENTS:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Sauce to cook chicken in:
1/2 c. taco sauce
1 large tomato
1/2 lg. onion
1 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 t. pepper

10 standard sized soft taco shells
3 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
3 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chillies

DIRECTIONS:
Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.  Put "sauce ingredients" into food processor, blend and pour over chicken.  Cook chicken breasts on high for 4 1/2 hours.  Remove chicken and shred with fork, put back into slow cooker and stir back into sauce.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan
Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese.  Roll up in tortillas and place in pan.
In a sauce pan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook 1 minute.  Add broth and whisk until smooth.  Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.  
Stir in sour cream and chilies.  Do not bring to boil, you don't want curdled sour cream.
Pour over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.
Bake 22 min and then under high broil for 3 min to brown the cheese.

No comments: