Saturday, May 2, 2009

Chile Relleno with Red Chile Sauce

"This is my favorite Mexican dish, but I was so nervous to try it since I don't have a lot of experience cooking Mexican food. I found this recipe by searching for a recipe for the sauce, and I'm so glad I tried this particular recipe because it's the best version I've ever tasted. HERE is the link to the original recipe. You might want to watch the first video because it was really helpful to me. I am including my chances and choices."


3/4 lb cold sharp Cheddar cheese cut into long matchstick pieces
8 Poblano Peppers, roasted and peeled *directions follow
1 batch beer batter *recipe follows
3 cups vegetable oil for frying
1 batch red chile sauce *recipe follows

Prepare batter first:


BEER BATTER

3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 cup beer, any brand as long as it's not dark

Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, cumin and cayenne in medium bowl.

Measure beer into tilted measuring cup to be sure you have 1 cup liquid under the foam. Stir beer and foam into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk batter until smooth.

Allow batter to rest 20 minutes before using.

To Roast Peppers:

*TURN OFF SMOKE ALARM IN HOME* :) Put peppers directly onto Electric Stove Burner on high or gas burner on low. Turn peppers with tongs to blacken entire outside. Put into a bowl covered with plastic to allow to steam about 10 minutes. I don't think there is any easy way to peel peppers, but do the best you can. Cut small vertical slit at the top of each pepper just large enough to slide the cheese into...stuff until full of cheese. *Handle with care so the slit stays small.*

Heat oil to 350 degrees over medium high heat in deepish frying pan (I used a wok)(I don't have a thermometer so I just waited until I could hear it bubbling.) Dip peppers, one at a time, into batter and carefully slide them into the hot oil, be careful not to overcrowd the pot. Once they are golden brown, turn the chiles over and fry the other side. The second side will brown more quickly. Keep warm in oven until all chiles are fried. Drain fried chiles on paper towels. (Mine never got as dark as the video showed).

Red Chile Sauce

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup mild ground red chile powder
1 tablespoon ground ancho chile powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3/4 cups vegetable, beef or chicken stock* (I used chicken)
1 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until roux turns golden yellow, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat in stir in all three ground chiles. Return pan to heat and whisk in garlic, oregano, cumin and stock. Reduce heat to low.

Allow sauce to simmer for 10 minutes and season with salt.

(Red chile sauce freezes well.)

*Note: Use vegetable stock to make the chile rellenos vegetarian. Choose chicken stock for general use, or if you will be serving the sauce with a chicken dish. Beef stock is a good match for beef dishes, such as enchiladas.

No comments: