Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stuffed Cabbage

"This meal has been a tradition in my family and I wanted to find a really good recipe for it. I found one at International School of Baking.com. Please check the notes at the bottom for my changes."
Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage

Stuffing:
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1 cup cooked rice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon chopped capers
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1/2 cup raisins or currants
2 egg whites
1 chicken bouillon cube crushed
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon peel

Sauce:
4 cups crushed tomatoes
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup chopped onions
1 tablespoon grated ginger or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup red wine
1 cup chicken broth

Directions:

Boil whole head of cabbage with core removed until water is at rolling boil for 20 minutes. Remove from water, drain & cool.

Mix all the stuffing ingredients together with a wooden spoon or your hands, until well mixed. Lay the cabbage leaves on a flat surface, with scissors cut out the thick vein in the center of each leaf. Place about 4 Tablespoons of stuffing mixture on the bottom third of each leaf and roll up like a "spring roll".

Place the rolls close together in a glass or ceramic casserole. Cover with sauce and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until the center rolls are rapidly boiling. This dish loves to be frozen and reheated.


Notes and Tips:

-I used 2 pounds lean ground sirlion instead of turkey and pork

-I omitted the capers because I didn't have any

-I used brown rice to make it healthier

-I used regular onions instead of green onions for the stuffing because I didn't have any

-I used 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice instead of peel in the stuffing

-In the sauce I used 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger and 2 tablespoons lemon juice

-You can use the very outside and very inside leaves of the cabbage to make a bed of leaves for the rolls to sit on (prevents from sticking) and to put on top of the sauce to help steam the rolls

-I baked mine on 300 degrees F. for three hours in a roasting pan with a lid

No comments: