Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jen's Reuben Casserole

"Growing up, our Christmas Eve tradition, for quite a few years, was to make reuben sandwiches. The thing that made them different than what you get at the restaurant was that we used Miracle Whip mixed with chili powder instead of 1000 Island salad dressing. My mom also used to make a reuben casserole, which I thought is much easier than assembling and baking the sandwiches. Here is my spin on what she used to make."




INGREDIENTS:

1 1/3 pounds deli corned beef, cut in small cubes or chipped
1 pound baby swiss cheese cut in small pieces
1 large jar (approx. 32 oz.) sour kraut, rinsed and drained well
1 1/2 cups Miracle Whip
2 teaspoons chili powder
12 oz. pumpernickel bread, chopped in large crouton sized chunks
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle meat and cheese pieces evenly into a greased 9x13 baking dish. In medium bowl mix sour kraut well with Miracle Whip and chili powder. Spread kraut mixture over meat and cheese in dish. Place bread chunks evenly over top of sour kraut mixture. Drizzle melted butter over bread chunks. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

Serves 6-8

Notes:

-I get my corned beef from the deli at the store. I tell them I want it in one large piece and I cube it myself.

-12 oz. of pumpernickle is about 3/4 of a half loaf (I buy the sliced half loaf and use all but about four slices)

-I wring out my sour kraut with my hands. If you like the stronger flavor, you don't have to rinse it.

No comments: