Thursday, May 29, 2008

White Bean Chicken Chili

"First of all I would not call this chili. It is not thick at all, it's more like mexican flavored soup with chicken. It is very yummy, though. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. The following is the original, and I am putting my changes in the notes at the bottom."

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound diced, cooked chicken meat
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (18.75 ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (15 ounce) can white beans
2 ears fresh corn
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 lime, sliced


DIRECTIONS
Heat oil, and cook onion and garlic until soft.
Stir in broth, tomatillos, tomatoes, chilies, and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add corn, chicken, and beans; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with these toppings for people to choose from: limes, cilantro, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
Notes:
-I did not add coriander because I didn't have it, and I didn't want to buy a spice I'd probably never use again.
-I juiced the lime and poured the juice into the soup instead of using the slices to garnish it, which I thought seemed a waste.
-Instead of cooking the chicken separately, I sauted it with the in the oil with the garlic and onions.
-I used 1/2 cup frozen corn instead of the fresh "off the ear", and put it in to boil with the other ingredients.
-I found the tomatillos in the mexican food section at the grocery store, but you can sometimes find them at the produce market. If not, you can just add another can of diced tomatoes.
-I didn't know what kind of beans "white beans" were unless I just didn't see them. I just used "great northern" because they were white on the front of the can.

No comments: