Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hungarian Goulash

"After reading the reviews, (allrecipes.com) I found someone mentioned this is not authentic goulash (or Gulyás) which is stew/soup, but rather Pörkölt instead. If you'd like to read about it, go here to wikipedia. Growing up, my mom's goulash was made with ground beef and I think green pepper added to tomato sauce. I didn't care for it much. My husband liked his mom's, which I don't think was authentic either. I wanted to try a Hungarian recipe for it, and this was the highest rated one I found. I have made a couple changes as suggested in a review. This photo really doesn't do it justice because I took it of warmed-up left-overs."



INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 onions, sliced (I just used 1 large vidalia onion)
1 tomato (medium to large), diced
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika (the brand I found at the grocery store was called "Papa"
2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced

DIRECTIONS
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and green pepper to saute while preparing the beef.
In a medium bowl, combine paprika, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Coat beef cubes in spice mixture, add to pot and saute until beef is browned.
Add in tomato paste, garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, mix well. Last add water and stir again. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
Note:
I stirred in 1/2 cup sour cream to meat and then put over fettuccine noodles (I don't like egg noodles)

No comments: